My Mission

I'm on a mission. A mission to reverse Type 1 Diabetes. I refuse to believe that injecting myself with synthetic hormones is the only way. I refuse to believe that God didn't create another way. Call me crazy, tell me that I'm in denial. We all know there is no cure......... or is there? My Endocrinologist personally told me I would have this disease the rest of my life and that I would require insulin or I would die. She has 10 years of schooling so who am I to think I know more than her? However of that 10 years of schooling she was required only a 25 hour long class in nutrition. You can easily learn everything your Dr. knows about nutrition in one week. Those "facts" Doctors learn in their nutrition classes are based off what the Government deems is healthy. I've always believed the Government would do no harm and thought they knew what they were talking about. For every article you read on the Internet there are thousands of articles that claim the opposite. The only way to know the truth is to try it out for yourself. I've tried several diets in hopes to reverse my diabetes. One was successful for a short run. Here I'll document my personal experiments. My journey isn't over. I'm going to keep searching till I find out what works.

Friday, October 18, 2013

Following my Endocrinologist suggested diet

  Soon after leaving the hospital I met with my Endocrinologist.  She put me on a strict diet of 75 carbs per meal or 60 carbs per meal with three 15 carb snacks in between.  I found it hard to eat 75 carbs.  I kept having to add things to reach that goal.  Also I was on 1 unit of insulin for every 15 carbs I ate. For one month I followed this diet to the T.  Despite taking the carb to ratio of insulin and following the diet, my blood sugars were constantly running into the 300's then dipping to the 40's and I gained 30 lbs in 31 days.  I started sleeping 15-18 hours a day because I was so exhausted.  After several appointments with my Endocrinologist I realized that she didn't know crap about nutrition.  Most Drs. are only required a semester of nutrition classes and what they learn in those classes is what the government tells them is healthy.  Sleeping 18 hours a day wasn't working for me.  Gaining 30 lbs on a "low carb diet"  wasn't working for me.  My blood sugars spiking and dropping wasn't working for me.  Something had to change.  I trusted my Dr.  I trusted that the information she was giving me was correct.  I trusted the governments guidelines.  After following their advice and getting sicker that trust was broken.  I decided to get educated.  I decided to become my own physician.  Don't get me wrong.  I think Drs. are great.  After all they've been through strenuous school but when it comes to nutrition they've been deceived.  The only way to know the truth is to find out for yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment