My Mission

I'm on a mission. A mission to reverse Type 1 Diabetes. I refuse to believe that injecting myself with synthetic hormones is the only way. I refuse to believe that God didn't create another way. Call me crazy, tell me that I'm in denial. We all know there is no cure......... or is there? My Endocrinologist personally told me I would have this disease the rest of my life and that I would require insulin or I would die. She has 10 years of schooling so who am I to think I know more than her? However of that 10 years of schooling she was required only a 25 hour long class in nutrition. You can easily learn everything your Dr. knows about nutrition in one week. Those "facts" Doctors learn in their nutrition classes are based off what the Government deems is healthy. I've always believed the Government would do no harm and thought they knew what they were talking about. For every article you read on the Internet there are thousands of articles that claim the opposite. The only way to know the truth is to try it out for yourself. I've tried several diets in hopes to reverse my diabetes. One was successful for a short run. Here I'll document my personal experiments. My journey isn't over. I'm going to keep searching till I find out what works.

Friday, October 18, 2013

Grandmas Diet, DKA and Back on Paleo

  My Grandma is a health nut.  She believes every article the government puts out on health.  While living under her roof I was forced to follow her rules and that meant following her government guided diet.  My diet was rich in whole grains because Grandma was and is still convinced that its healthy.  Breakfast consisted of whole grain toast.  Lunch was whole grain bread with peanut butter and jam.  Dinner was always different but consisted of something rich in gluten, whole grains and carbs.  I lived with her 3 weeks then moved in with a roommate for 2 weeks before my house closed.  After 4 weeks of adding gluten back into my diet my blood sugars were sky high and I ended up in DKA.  DKA is a life threatening condition in which the blood sugars get too high because the body isn't able to use insulin and the blood becomes very acidic.  I couldn't keep any food or water down me and I was delirious.  I was able to nurse myself back to health and went back onto the Paleo diet.  My blood sugars improved a ton however this time I did require some insulin for the few carbs I was eating.  I was disappointed that I had to have insulin on the same diet that I did months earlier with no insulin.  They say that once a Type 1 Diabetic is diagnosed they still have some Beta cells producing insulin for about a year before they shut off.  My guess is that I had less Beta cells producing insulin which is why I now had to take insulin despite being on the same diet as before.

No comments:

Post a Comment