My Mission
I'm on a mission. A mission to reverse Type 1 Diabetes. I refuse to believe that injecting myself with synthetic hormones is the only way. I refuse to believe that God didn't create another way. Call me crazy, tell me that I'm in denial. We all know there is no cure......... or is there? My Endocrinologist personally told me I would have this disease the rest of my life and that I would require insulin or I would die. She has 10 years of schooling so who am I to think I know more than her? However of that 10 years of schooling she was required only a 25 hour long class in nutrition. You can easily learn everything your Dr. knows about nutrition in one week. Those "facts" Doctors learn in their nutrition classes are based off what the Government deems is healthy. I've always believed the Government would do no harm and thought they knew what they were talking about. For every article you read on the Internet there are thousands of articles that claim the opposite. The only way to know the truth is to try it out for yourself. I've tried several diets in hopes to reverse my diabetes. One was successful for a short run. Here I'll document my personal experiments. My journey isn't over. I'm going to keep searching till I find out what works.
Friday, October 18, 2013
The Ketogenic Diet
I wasn't too happy that my pancreas was showing signs of the diabetes progressing. I decided to cut out all carbs. My theory was that if I only need to take insulin when I eat carbs then I won't eat carbs at all therefore I won't need insulin. I switched from the Paleo to a Ketogenic diet. I had beautiful blood sugars for about 3 days and then they started to spike. I continued to eat very little carbs <10 per day and I added a little insulin to bring my sugars down. Pretty soon my blood sugars were constantly in the high 200's. I was so frustrated. I was eating very little carbs and I was taking insulin so why were my sugars so high? Turns out that our bodies can break down protein and turn it into sugar. Our livers can also make sugar and also my ketogenic diet caused weight loss which released fatty acids into the blood stream and spiked blood sugars. I was afraid to eat carbs because I was afraid that if I added carbs while my blood sugars were still high then it would spike it even higher. I continued eating less than 10 carbs a day for two months. I got to the point where I was taking 12 times the amount of insulin that I was suppose to and still my sugars wouldn't budge out of the 270's. I went on a camping trip with friends and for the fun of it I ate a rice crispy treat. My blood sugar quickly dropped from 270 to 120. I was very confused why adding carbs to my diet would suddenly drop my blood sugar instead of raise it. It was because it took me out of diet induced ketosis. My body stopped using ketones for energy and used the carbs from the rice crispy. I immediately switched back to the Paleo diet which I've been doing for the past few months. I have a ratio of 1 unit for every 10-20 carbs depending on the food. I've learned that not all carbs are the same. 20 carbs of one type of food may not effect my blood sugar at all while 5 carbs of another food might spike it. Learning about how different foods effects my body has been quite helpful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment